What is a 4D ultrasound in pregnancy?
4D Ultrasound scan is the same as 3D Ultrasound, but here you will not just see the image of your baby, but you can see his video. Thus in 4D Ultrasound, you will be able to see what your baby is doing on a real-time basis. You can see his/her action clearly on the monitor as the baby moves or turns him.
Difference between 2D, Doppler, 3D, and 4D ultrasounds
To understand the difference between different types of Ultrasound, you need to look at their procedure:
2D ultrasound: For this method, the doctor uses a transducer device to send sound waves in your body. When the transducer is pressed against your skin or put in your vagina, it sends waves that hit the internal organs or fluids and bounce back. This bouncing wave creates an echo, which helps in creating an image on the monitor. This image is a cross-sectional view where you can see a greyish outline of the baby.
Doppler ultrasound: Doppler is a type of Ultrasound that helps to hear the baby’s heartbeat or blood flow through the body. The radiologist uses a hand-held device, which he rubs on a special gel applied to your abdominal area to hear the fetal heartbeat.
3D ultrasound: In this method, you will see the image of the baby more clearly. It creates a three-dimensional image of the baby by recording the organs’ internal and external details from different angles. In the monitor, you will be able to see the fetus’s heart, blood vessel or valves, baby’s skin, mouth, or shape.
4D ultrasound: 4D is similar to 3D; the most significant difference is that by 4D Ultrasound, you will be able to see the live video of your baby. The Ultrasound can record the baby’s line motion, like when the baby is moving hands or legs or yawning.
How long does a 3D/4D scan take?
For a good view of the baby’s face, the scan may take a little longer than 20 minutes. If the baby is not in a great position, you might be asked to take a stroll and return later, or to have a drink or some food to encourage some extra movement from the baby.
- A full 3D and 4D High-Definition pregnancy scan from 26-32 weeks of pregnancy
- See your baby’s face and limbs developing
- Still ultrasound images and clips to share online, via YourBabyScan
- USB stick recording of your 3D/4D HD experience
- See baby’s heartbeat and baby’s movements
- Includes an Advanced Gestation Anatomy Scan by our Specialist Sonographers
- Assess baby’s growth pattern
- Confirm the position of baby (presentation e.g cephalic or breech)
- Assess the position, appearance and function of the placenta, including the blood flow to baby- Umbilical Artery Doppler measurement
- Assess the quantity amniotic fluid (AFI) surrounding baby
- Confirm the gender of baby, if you wish to know your baby’s sex
- Baby and Parents-to-be focused care
- Your questions answered
- We offer longer appointment times as routine – more time for baby, more time for you
- Same day and short notice appointments available
- Committed to advances in pregnancy care
- The latest Ultrasound Technology and Software
- Always with a sonographer qualified and accredited in all aspects of antenatal ultrasound scans. Specialised, expert care
FETAL WELLBEING & GROWTH SCAN
A 3D/4D High-Definition ultrasound scan can be performed to see your baby’s face and limbs from 26 to 32 weeks of pregnancy. Parents to be often chose this pregnancy scan as an early opportunity to bond further with their baby, or invite relatives along to meet their little one.
A 4D scan is a 3D scan with the added dimension of real time – as in a film or video – so the baby can be seen to be moving. This will be recorded on a USB stick for you to take home, with further clips and images sent directly to your mobile phone.
4D scans are not commonly needed for medical reasons, however if your baby has a facial condition such as cleft lip or cleft palate, a 3D or 4D scan could provide extra information for medical purposes.
At The Birth Company your baby’s wellbeing is of the most importance, therefore we always perform a comprehensive assessment of your baby’s growth and development, included with every scan.
We offer longer appointment times as routine. More time for baby, more time for you.
To see baby’s face clearly, it may take a little time to get a good view, so the scan could take longer than 40 minutes. If the baby is not in a favourable position you may be asked to go for a walk and return later, or to have a cold drink or some food to encourage some extra activity from baby. If during your appointment we are unable to see baby’s face, we will invite you to return for a rescan free of charge.
The best time to perform a 4D scan is at 26-32 weeks of pregnancy when there is a greater volume of amniotic fluid but when the baby has not yet become too big. It is more difficult to see the face if the placenta is at the front of the womb (anterior placenta) or your baby has arms or legs in front of the face. The baby can be seen moving and sometimes it is possible to record your baby yawning or stretching.
Cost of 2D, 3D, and 4D Ultrasound Scan
Due to different features and underlying technology 3D and 4D ultrasound scan have different cost structure. The pricing has variations at different clinics or laboratories. If we compare the rates of these three forms of a pregnancy ultrasound, 4D scans cost more than 3D and 2D scans.
At the Cloudex Scans Kannur, we have affordable pricing for 3D and 4D ultrasound scans for females.